Many congratulations on your new job! After the grueling job-hunt period, you’ve finally made it to the glorious part of being a working adult. It’s exciting to anticipate how the new work environment will be, how you will fit in, perform on the job and more.
Here are a few tips and tricks to manage your expectations and prepare for an awesome first day at work:-
- Make sure you get 7-8 hours of sleep the night before. Your next morning will be lovely and the rest of the day will find you in the best physical and mental form
- Before you go to bed at night, decide on your work outfit for your first day. Try out a few options and see what feels the most comfortable and commanding.
- Organize your work bag. Make a list of the things you might need on your first day of work – diary, pens, hard disk etc. Also, try to figure out your breakfast before going to bed so that no time is wasted in the morning
- Figure out the best route to work to avoid unnecessary stress and beat unexpected traffic. Check the weather for rain etc and prepare accordingly.
- If you have a contact in your new workplace, have a chat with them about the work ethics and culture of the new firm, in advance. If you don’t know anybody at your new workplace, try reading about your new employers online
- On your first day (and on all days thereafter), listen attentively to all instructions/briefings and act accordingly. Asking your reporting officer about their short-term and long-term expectations of you will be a great trust building exercise. A sure-shot way to leave a lasting good impression
- Be friendly and approachable. Take note of your new colleagues and work hard to remember all their names and roles in the company. This might take some time but keep at it from day one
- Be observant, listen to the way your coworkers interact with one another. Try to mirror their ways while keeping your personality at the center of it all
- Ask questions! The answers will take you where you need to be
- Be prepared to manage your time should you get bombarded with work on day 1 itself. That’s what you’re there for, right! Try to enjoy it
- Familiarize yourself with the office machinery, equipment, coffee machines etc.
Finally, make sure you take care of your needs too! Try to be as comfortable as possible, don’t stretch yourself out too thin. Everyone knows it’s your first day and they’ll be happy to guide you around for sure. Staying calm will help you be more efficient and people will like you better naturally!
Here’s wishing you a great first day at work.